Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Walk Around the Globe

What can be more exciting than walking in your feet around the Globe, visiting and appreciating each country’s native products and culture, and meeting its people? A walk inside the Dubai Global Village, may do. Isolated from the towering skyscrapers of gleaming Dubai, Global Village is likely located right in the middle of the desert. I’m not pretty sure if there is any bus fleet running around the area but the fact that it’s not-so-easy to reach, one can find a private vehicle or a cab convenient to be taken along.


One can hardly feel the sense of enjoyment when strolling in solitude so together with our friends kuya Kiko and ate Mercy, and my brother-in-law Pen, my wife and I fled from the mediocre Sharjah to the sparkling Global Village. As we parked the car, first thing that caught my eyes is the enormous ferris wheel with its colorful lights attraction installed on its spokes showcasing the waving UAE flag and a world map with all its effects. We bought entrance tickets and readied our feet for a seemingly long journey to the world.


First off: India. India’s edifice occupies the biggest space in the village. Inside are stalls offering Indian products like clothing, jewelries, sweets, and other household ornaments and products, but one thing that really caught my attention is the vintage gramophone. Everyone knows I’m damn crazy over vintage thingies but that I was penniless. Nice thing about me, I’m very much oriented by the Tagalog saying, “Habang maikli ang kumot, matutong mamaluktot”  and that’s all there is to it.


The concept of “selfie” justifies the reason why monopod is invented. Using Kuya Kiko’s ever reliable monopod, we were able to take groupies with every country’s edifice as the background. Some countries’ interiors impressed me like those of Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, and other middle-eastern countries. However, I got cheesed off for Cambodia, Italy, and the Philippines. they weren't that nice.


After about two hours of walking, we felt hungers pangs in anticipation of the late dinner so we had to find the fast food store known to us; Kentucky Fried Chicken. I can say that the foods there were tasty so they were all consumed with justice. One instance that is so memorable there when an African-looking crew called the costumer numbered 26 to claim the ordered foods. From time to time he yelled “number 26” and nobody cares. The oft-repeated “number 26” has been the“last number syndrome” (in relation to “LSS”) of my wife and brother-in-law until this present time.

It was my first time to visit the Global village and I can say that the trip was worth it.  With the kindness and generosity of kuya Kiko and ate Mercy, our trips have always been so enjoyable.      



No comments:

Post a Comment